ANTONIO TOBIAS MENDEZ
19419 Frog Eye Road
Knoxville, Maryland 21758
School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Bachelor of Fine Arts 1988
International Off-Campus Studies Program 1986-1987
Assistant to sculptor Jose Cobo in the preparation and construction of a public monument for Santander, Spain.
John Chambers Studios 1982
Sculptor for make-up artist John Chambers, who received the 1969 Academy Award for Best Make-up for The Planet of the Apes and an “Emmy” for his work in Primal Man.
Dedicated Public and Corporate Commissions
- Maggie Lena Walker Memorial Park, Richmond, Virginia, A Ten foot bronze figure and three bronze bas reliefs. Mendez collaborated with VHB Architects and Engineers to design a 6000 square ft. plaza and memorial in honor of Civil Rights leader, first African American woman to charter a bank. 2017
- Portrait of David Crockett, Tennessee State Capitol Building, Nashville, Tennessee, A twice life size bronze portrait bust. 2016
- Johns Hopkins Coach Bob Scott, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore Maryland, A seven foot tall bronze figure of the Hall of Fame Lacrosse Coach. 2016
- Portrait of Colonel Morgan, Grand Valley International Airport, Harlingen, Texas, A life-size bronze portrait bust. 2016
- President Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site, Wilcox Mansion a National Park Service, President Theodore Roosevelt, Buffalo, New York, A seven and a half foot tall bronze figure, 2015
- Trail of History, William Henry Belk, Charlotte, NC, A seven foot bronze figure, 2015
- Washington County Free Library, Our Journey Transports Us Through Time, Hagerstown, Maryland, A six foot by twelve foot bronze bas relief, 2015
- Carroll County Public Library, Our Family Farm, Westminister, Maryland, A five foot by ten foot bronze bas relief, 2014
- Boston Red Sox, Carl Yastrzemski, Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts. An eight foot tall bronze sculpture of the Hall of Fame Player, stands outside of Fenway Park, 2013
- Grand Rapids Community Legends, Mayor Lyman Parks, Grand Rapids, Michigan. A 7ft. tall bronze figure and pedestal.
- The Angel, Congressional Cemetary, Washington DC, Private Commission of a small standing angel. Bronze six feet tall. 2013
- University of Maryland, Lefty Driesell, Comcast Center, College Park, Md. A four foot by six foot bronze bas relief portrait of the former basketball coach.
- The John Hanson National Memorial, Frederick County Courthouse, Frederick, Maryland. A Seven foot bronze figure on a granite base, Dedicated 2012
- Baltimore Orioles Baseball Club, Camden Yards, Baltimore, Md. Six over life-size (ranging from 7ft.-8 ft.) of the six Orioles Hall of Fame Members, Dedicated 2012.
- Montgomery County, Maryland “Veterans Plaza” 15 bronze bas reliefs with three glass artwork panels, Dedicated 2011
- ALSACE, Saint Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee. Danny Thomas and the Children, an 8 ft. bronze figure of Danny Thomas and three over life-size Children 2011.
- National Museum of American Jewish History, Philadelphia, Pa. Bronze Portrait of benefactor and philanthropist Sidney Kimmel 2010.
- Grand Rapids Community Legends, Chief Noonday (Noahquagesik), Grand Rapids, Michigan. A 7ft. tall bronze figure and pedestal. 2010.
- Ernest Everett Just Foundation, Ernest Everett Just Middle School, Prince Georges County, Maryland. A 7ft. bronze figure of the pioneer African American Cell Biologist 2010
- Boston Red Sox, The Teammates, Fenway Park, Boston Massachusetts. Four over life-size bronze figures of Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Johnny Pesky and Dom Dimaggio. 2010
- Miami Dolphins, A Perfect Moment in Time, Monument to Coach Don Shula and the 1972 Dolphins 17-0, Miami Gardens, Florida. A grouping of three over life-size bronze figures, each 7ft tall. 2010
- The Major Taylor Association Inc., ‘Tribute to Marshall “Major” Taylor”, Worcester, Massachusetts. Memorial includes an over life-size figure with a 7 1/2 foot by 10 bronze relief and a 4ft.x8 ft. relief. Memorial design. 2008
- The Calvert Marine Museum, “The Cradle of Invasion Monument, On Watch”, Solomons Island, Maryland. An eight foot bronze figure of a WWII American Sailor and Monument design. 2007
- H. Carl Moultrie Courthouse, DC Family Court, “Reach Just a Little Bit Higher”, Washington DC. Four life-size bronze figures with two glass panel designs. 2007
- University of Maryland Baltimore County, “A Tribute to Walter Sondheim” Baltimore, Maryland. A life-size bronze portrait figure and small plaza with stone benches. 2005.
- Vandenberg Memorial Committee, “Senator Arthur Vandenberg Memorial”, Grand Rapids, Michigan. A nine foot bronze figure with granite pedestal and plaza design. 2005.
- City of Alexandria, “Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial”, Alexandria, Virginia. Three life-size bronze figures, including plaza design 66 feet in diameter, limestone, granite, blue-stone. 2002
- United States Navy Memorial Foundation, United States Navy Memorial, Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC. Three bronze reliefs. Two dedicated in 1992 and one commissioned and dedicated in 2001.
- Canal Place C&O Canal Commemorative Monument, “Mule and Handler”, Cumberland, Maryland. A life-size bronze mule and a life size boy handler with fountain design. 2000
- Shanti Fund “The Mohandas K. Gandhi Memorial”, H. Lee Dennison County Office Building, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York. Six foot bronze figure of Gandhi. 2000
- Warwick Public Library, “The Warwick Quahogger, A Days Catch”, Warwick, Rhode Island. A bronze life-size figure and dog, with fishing implements and granite fountain. 1998
- The Texas Rangers Baseball Club “Monuments to Nolan Ryan and Mayor Tom Vandergriff”, Arlington, Texas. An eight foot bronze figure of the Hall of Fame pitcher and a 7’3” figure of the former Mayor. Granite pedestals. 1997
- The State of Maryland Governor’s Commission, “Thurgood Marshall Memorial, Equal Justice Under Law”, State House Grounds, Annapolis, Maryland. A heroic scale 7 1/2 foot tall bronze figure, three life-size bronze figures and a 50’x60’ plaza design. 1996.
- Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters, “You Can Fly”, Norfolk, Virginia. Five life-size bronze figures of children. 1995
- Friends of Annmarie Gardens “A Tribute to the Oyster Tonger, A Chesapeake Waterman”, Solomons Island, Maryland. A 7 1/2 foot bronze figure, 50’ Diameter Granite Fountain. 1994.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
Awarded Honorable Mention, in a field of a thousand competing for the National Monument on the Mall in Washington, DC.
TEACHING AND LECTURING:
Sculpture Instructor (part-time) 2008-Present
Hood College, Frederick, Maryland.
Figurative Sculpture instructor (part-time) Graduate Level 1991-92
Montgomery College, Rockville, Maryland.
Rodin Museum Lecture, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 1989
A two and a half-hour lecture on Rodin discussing historical developments during the artist’s life, his contributions to Modernism, and techniques he used in his works.
Guest Lecturer for Hagerstown Leadership Council. Artist’s Talk. 1989
Gallery Talk, Mary Condon Hodgson Gallery 1989
Frederick Community College, Frederick, Maryland
Art Instructor for the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts 1989
MEMBERSHIPS & APPOINTMENTS:
Elected Professional Sculptor Member 2007
National Sculpture Society (NSS) Member of International Sculpture Center
The State of Maryland 1989-2010
Governor’s Commission on Artistic Properties
Appointed by Governor Parris Glendening.
Director of Visual Arts/Board of Directors, Frederick Arts Council 1989-1992
For additional references, please Contact the studio.